Friday, November 11, 2011

Two Funerals and A Birthday


Two different churches.
Two different women .
Two different funerals.
One powerful message.

As I sat in the funerals services for two women I did not know personally over the last two weeks, I was moved in a very unexpected way.
One was 92, and the other 89. The both lived a long life.
As the women were remembered by family, friends, ministers, it occurred to me that their lives made a phenomenal difference in uncountable numbers of people.
Eternal difference.
I was moved to my very core as listened to the purpose with which each of these ladies lived out everyday.
And I began to wonder,
what is my life leaving behind?
Each day, as I am walking through my daily activities, what am I leaving in the wake of my life?
Is how I am living changing the lives around me for all eternity?

Yesterday I walked through my 48th birthday.
I realized something.
Unless I live to be 96 years old,
my life, here on earth, is more than half over.
I have already lived out, at least, half of the years I have to live.

This thought created a new sense of urgency in my heart for those around me.
Are they being pointed to Jesus by what is said and done?
I don't have a guarantee of  10 more years
to serve my family,
to point my neighbors to Jesus,
to be generous with the resources I have been entrusted with by God,
to remember to be filled with thankfulness.

This verse I believe was God's birthday present to me;


Colossians 4 
2 Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. 3 And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. 4 Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should. 5 Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. 6 Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.

I am praying for open doors, opportunities, and grace and wisdom to serve people.
The rest of my life, no matter how few, or how many years, needs to be dedicated 100% to serving others like Jesus.
How about you?
Are you making the most of the very limited time you have?

I invite you to choose with me today, to chase after the hearts of all those around you for God.
After all, people are God's #1 priority, and He proved that when Jesus, His son, hung on that cross.

Chasing After Hearts,
Glenda Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment