Sunday, October 18, 2009

But He Betrayed Me!

http://www.Freefoto.com

Today I am home. I should not be. I should be with Body at the church building. The flu, however, chose to invade my body and keep me home. But it did not keep me from Jesus.

As I was in fellowship with Jesus in His word I was struck by something.

Betrayal.

It seemed to permeate everything I read this morning. It shouldn't surprise me. Betrayal is everywhere.

I talk to women everyday that feel betrayed. By husbands. By children. By friends. By employers. By the church. Some betrayals are deeper than others, but betrayal is still, just that, betrayal.

So what do you do when your husband betrays you?
When a child betrays your trust?
When the church, that is supposed to show God's love and truth, betrays you?

Run to Jesus. He has been there.

Mar 14:18  While they were at the table eating, Jesus said, "I can guarantee this truth: One of you is going to betray me, one who is eating with me!"
Mar 14:19  Feeling hurt, they asked him one by one, "You don't mean me, do you?"
Mar 14:20  He said to them, "It's one of you twelve, someone dipping his hand into the bowl with me.


A close friend, one that Jesus hand picked, one he has shared three years of his life with. Betrayed him. And for all those three years, Jesus knew the betrayal was coming.
He loved him anyway.

Ok, Ok, so Judas HAD to betray Jesus for the plan. Maybe, maybe not. But just in case you need something else.

Mar 14:29  Peter said to him, "Even if everyone else abandons you, I won't."
Mar 14:30  Jesus said to Peter, "I can guarantee this truth: Tonight, before a rooster crows twice, you will say three times that you don't know me."
Mar 14:31  But Peter said very strongly, "Even if I have to die with you, I will never say that I don't know you." All the other disciples said the same thing.

But Peter did just that. Betrayed Jesus that very night. All the other disciples ran away. In his darkest hour, those closest to him, left him alone and betrayed.

So what does this mean for you?

When you are betrayed by those closest to you, you get one step closer to being like Jesus.
That's what the purpose of life is to be, right? Become more like Jesus and point others to him.

So what do you do when you are betrayed? Let's let's see what Jesus' last words were after his betrayal:

Luk 23:34  Then Jesus said, "Father, forgive them. They don't know what they're doing."

It all lies in forgiveness.

Who do you need to forgive in your heart today? Talk with the One who has been there, then do it. There is a new day waiting for you free from the bondage betrayal puts on us.

You can beat betrayal with love and forgiveness.

Jesus did.

Chasing Their Hearts,

Glenda Johnson
twitter.com/GlendaJohnson63

No comments:

Post a Comment