Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Daily Devo- Luke 20: 9-18 "Remember Who the Owner Is"


Luke 20:9-18

And he began to tell the people this parable: “A man planted a vineyard and let it out to tenants and went into another country for a long while. 10 When the time came, he sent a servant to the tenants, so that they would give him some of the fruit of the vineyard. But the tenants beat him and sent him away empty-handed. 11 And he sent another servant. But they also beat and treated him shamefully, and sent him away empty-handed. 12 And he sent yet a third. This one also they wounded and cast out. 13 Then the owner of the vineyard said, ‘What shall I do? I will send my beloved son; perhaps they will respect him.’ 14 But when the tenants saw him, they said to themselves, ‘This is the heir. Let us kill him, so that the inheritance may be ours.’ 15 And they threw him out of the vineyard and killed him. What then will the owner of the vineyard do to them? 16 He will come and destroy those tenants and give the vineyard to others.” When they heard this, they said, “Surely not!” 17 But he looked directly at them and said, “What then is this that is written:
“‘The stone that the builders rejected
has become the cornerstone’?
18 Everyone who falls on that stone will be broken to pieces, and when it falls on anyone, it will crush him.” (ESV)

I see Jesus warning the people of that day about what they had done and what what they were about to do. Like the servants of the parable, the people had rejected the prophets of God over and over again. The prophets were killed, treated badly and their words from God not heeded.
 

Jesus knew His death was coming at the hands of the very same ones who had rejected the servants before Him. He let all know who were listening, killing the Son would not give you power. As the cornerstone, it would crush those who rejected Him.
I stand amazed, that Jesus could so calmly stand there and tell a story about His own impending death. Knowing that there were some standing right there in the crowd who would be the very ones shouting to crucify him shortly.


What kind of person does it take to be like that? What kind of God does it take to send His Son to be abused and killed by the very ones He created?


A loving, caring, all knowing God. One who knew how powerful sin was, how sin had so destroyed His creation, that He is willing to do whatever it takes to redeem the fruit of His vineyard.

However, there is a strong warning here.
Some today are under the mind set that if they reject Jesus, they can be the King of their own world. They become the owner of the vineyard. The Owner of ALL is coming back, and He has already sent His Son, and like the verse says, destruction will come to those who rejected the Son.
It is HIS vineyard. His world. He is the owner. If we choose to reject the Son, it will crush us, and there is nothing that can help us then.

Lord, I do not want to reject Your Son. I want to be found to be a good tenant of all You have entrusted me with in Your vineyard. May You find me a faithful servant when You return.

Today:
I will remember that I am just the tenant of all I have. God is the owner of my possessions, my family and my very life.
I will live with the thought that God is sending Jesus back, and it could be today, and I will be required to give an account of what I have done with what God has given me.

Chasing After Their Hearts,
Glenda Johnson

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the great reminder! it is all His and I need to be a good steward!

    ReplyDelete