Monday, November 29, 2010

Daily Devo- Luke 20:1-8 "You Can't Lie To God"



Luke 20:1-8

 20:1 One day, as Jesus was teaching the people in the temple and preaching the gospel, the chief priests and the scribes with the elders came up and said to him, “Tell us by what authority you do these things, or who it is that gave you this authority.” He answered them, “I also will ask you a question. Now tell me, was the baptism of John from heaven or from man?” And they discussed it with one another, saying, “If we say, ‘From heaven,’ he will say, ‘Why did you not believe him?’ But if we say, ‘From man,’ all the people will stone us to death, for they are convinced that John was a prophet.” So they answered that they did not know where it came from. And Jesus said to them, “Neither will I tell you by what authority I do these things.” (ESV)


Lord, I believe who you are. I trust what You say. I look at these chief priests, scribes and elders, and I think, they are ridiculous because they are trying to trap Jesus. Jesus knows their hearts and their motives. He knows what they are up to. He also knows just what to do. They cannot answer the simple question He asked them. To do so would either get them in trouble with God, or the people. They really did not want to please God, but themselves, and they did not want the people riled up against them. So they lied. They lied to the the Son of God. To God himself. To the King of Kings. As I read this, I think, 'That's crazy!".

But Lord, are there times I think I can lie to You and get away with it? By doing things with a wrong motive, thinking You can only see the act , not my heart? By thinking evil of someone and sharing that thought with others, all in the name of God, with a selfish motive? Lord you know every thought of my heart. You alone know me from the inside out. There is no telling You a lie and getting away with it.


In this passage today, there are only two sets of people to emulate.
Either I am like the men who had an ulterior motive of greed and power when they approached Jesus, or I am becoming like Jesus, and I submit myself to Him fully and honestly.

One group will lead to death, the other, right to the heart of God, and to life.

Today:

I will remember that each decision I make, my Lord knows my reason for doing it.

I will choose to acknowledge that Jesus alone holds the answers of life and He alone is to be submitted to for life.

I will not try to please man with the words I speak today, but God alone, in humility, praise and love.

I will point people to the giver of life, with the motive being that they are reconciled to God.


I will Chase After the Heart of God!



Chasing After Their Hearts,
Glenda Johnson

1 comment:

  1. When I see your picture of the ocean I am reminded of the Power of God. Being here and around water much of the time, you develop a certain respect for it. When I am with Godly people, my respect for how God accomplishes scenes of my life deepens. Much like the ocean, He can take my life at any time. He doesn't have to have a reason.
    If you are a "people pleaser" you would not get very far in life.
    I know that when I pleased God by giving up my own Earthly wants, He chose to reward me.
    But the greatest reward is living in Christ Jesus. ;D

    ReplyDelete