Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Just, Justly, Justice- How Do We Act?

Yesterday I began a look at what I needed to change to be what God desired me to be, instead of me listing my resolutions for the New Year.
I encourage you to read "Requirements For The New Year" from 1/4/2011 before you read today's blog if you haven't already. Just click on it on the right side bar.

The verse that sums up what God wants from me is Micah 6:8:

8 He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
   And what does the LORD require of you?   
To act justly and to love mercy
 and to walk humbly with your God. 
The Lord truly has shown me what is good. He is 100% goodness. There is nothing bad in Him or in anything He does. All He provides is good. 
Even when He must discipline us, it is good, fair and right. 
He treats everyone by the same set of standards. 
His standards are clearly shown to us in His word.
That my friend is being just.
Treating people in a fair and right way. 
Even more so, when they need to be corrected.
God is the perfect example, as always, of what justice is and how it is carried out on a daily basis.

Let's be real honest here. We all mess up. I mess up, ok, call it what it is, SIN, much more often than I should. People around me sin. God clearly says in Roman 6:23 what the justice is for sinning:
23 For the wages of sin is death, 
Death is what justice would be each time we sin. I deserve death. You deserve death. Our best friend deserves death.  Our worst enemy deserves death.  All, deserve death.

Romans 3:23
23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 
BUT WAIT! I can hear some yelling at the top of their lungs now. You didn't finish the rest of Roman 6:23. It says a lot more and that is where I am ok, and friend is ok and my family is ok. 

23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

We like the end of Roman 6:23 much better than the beginning. In God's justice we deserve death, but instead he gives us a gift. He gives us life. And who does He give that to?
We need to look at Romans 3:22-24 for that answer:
22 This righteousness is given through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference between Jew and Gentile, 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.

See that all in verse 24? It is the same all that is in verse 23. What does that mean? God does NOT show partiality. All are justified. Not given death. Not destroyed. For everyone. God looks at everyone the same way. He treats all people with the same love and heart. Some choose to reject it, but the same love and gift are offered to all.
That is acting "JUSTLY".

So what do I need to change to "act justly"?

I need to treat everyone equitably. That means the grace I show to my friends and people I like, I show to my enemies and people who have openly hurt me. That is the example God has shown. telling everyone the end of Roman 6:23, not just people I like and care for. That is acting justly.

I need to remember that the gift of life and forgiveness of sins has been offered to EVERYONE, not just those whom I care for and those people who have committed sins that I think should be forgiven.
If God has forgiven someone, I must treat them as forgiven, regardless of whether I think justice has been done.

I need to  treat people morally right. All people. I need to treat people as I would want to be treated. By them and by God. How I treat others, and the way I meet out justice will come back to me.
Matthew 7:2
For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

This verse is what will help me act justly toward others. it is a reminder to me from God, on exactly what He desires. 

This is a picture of lady justice. She has a blindfold on, because true justice is impartial and the same for everyone. I believe God wants us to be impartial and love like He does. Only I need to do it without the blindfold. I need to look at people and treat them justly because God has shown me what is good. Because I know what is good, I will choose to judge others with that GOOD measure, and the benefit for me? That's how I will be judged!



Today:
I will take off my blindfold, look at everyone as the recipient of God's grace and love, and treat them as God does. 
That is to act justly.

Tomorrow, join me ad I look at the next thing that is required, and hint, it makes acting justly much easier!

Chasing After Their Hearts,
Glenda Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment