Friday, January 7, 2011

What Do You Love?

As I begin my walk through this New Year, I have decided that I needed to see WHAT GOD DESIRED for me. The last two blogs started this journey, and I encourage you to read them. Requirements For The New Year

Just, Justly , Justice-How Do We Act?


Today, I will look at my heart and see what I love. I must. Going back to Micah 6:8;


8 He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
   And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
   and to walk humbly with your God. 
 
The last time time, I discovered God has desired me to act justly. To treat all people the same, and to desire the very best for them. Like one of my dear friends Sandy reminded me; We all want justice but it is hard to give it, like God does.
As I have meditated on this verse in Micah, and read other verses in the Word, I have come to the next thing God wants from me this year. 

To Love Mercy.
Interestingly enough, to love mercy, is the only way I can act justly.
The two go hand in hand.

 Over and over again throughout Scripture we see God described as merciful. As a matter of fact, our salvation vs our damnation is the perfect example of that. We deserved to be separated eternally from Him. We deserved to die. We still do.

But, because God is BOTH just and merciful, He chose to pay for our sins Himself, through His Son, Jesus, so we wouldn't have to.

Stop right there. Just think on that for a moment.
Right now you should LOVE mercy.

Now it gets a little more difficult. This is where I must allow God to change my heart, to be like His.

Romans 12:1-2
 1 Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. 2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. 

In view of WHAT?
God's mercy.
I am to do WHAT?
Offer my body as a living sacrifice.
HOW do I do that?
Be transformed by the renewing of my mind.
WHAT will that do?
I will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
For me.
And I will have a heart more like God's.
I will not only love mercy when it is shown to me, but,
I will love mercy so much, it will become part of my character,
and I will desire to show it, to whomever God puts in my path.
Regardless of:
Who they are.
What they have done to me or others.
Whether they are friends or self-proclaimed enemies.

With that changed mind set, I will will always act justly,
because I LOVE MERCY!

How does this look?

I think for me, and just quite possibly for you, it means:

When I am responding or reaching out to someone,
MERCY not RETRIBUTION,
will be the FIRST thing that I think of.

Today I pray O Lord, that You conform my mind, and my will to Yours. I desire to merciful like You are. Please change my heart!

Next time, what it takes to allow God to change our hearts!

Chasing After Their Hearts,

Glenda Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment