Friday, January 22, 2010

A Day Too Late




For the last 26 years I have been an insurance medical examiner. "What is that?", you may ask, well let me explain.

If you have ever applied for life insurance, disability insurance, or long term care insurance chances are you have had to have some medical requirements completed.  Maybe a medical history, or vital signs checked, blood and urine sample collected, even an EKG done. That is what I do. Usually in people's homes, sometimes at their place of business, or at one of our offices.

It really is a job I enjoy. I meet a lot of very interesting people. I get to practice medicine in a "no sick people" environment.  If you live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, and this sounds like something you would like to do, e-mail me. I have plenty of work.

Anyway, I want to share a story about one of these exams with you. You see, I always call the day before to confirm the appointment. On this day as I was confirming, I had something happen that has never happened before in 26 years. The conversation went something like this:

Me: Hello. may I please speak to Mr. ____?
Man on The Phone: May I ask who is calling?
Me: This is Glenda calling from the insurance examiner's office to confirm his appointment for his medical exam tomorrow for his life insurance policy.
Man on The Phone: Ummm...Ma'am, this is his son. Umm.. he died today.
Me:Oh. (long pause and total silence) I am so sorry for your loss.
Man on The Phone: Thank you.
Me: Goodbye. (Hanging up phone, and very shook up)

Wow. A day too late for that life insurance exam.

Really got me to thinking. We have no guarantees for tomorrow. We do not even have a guarantee for later today.

The people of Haiti can be a witness to that right now. As I watched a video that my son shot in an orphanage just minuets before the earthquake hit, I was really moved.

Those people had no idea that their lives were about to be changed.

The truth is we don't know either.

Is there something that you need to do today, that you think can wait until tomorrow?
Maybe you need to call your mom, maybe a friend you have been needing to contact.
Maybe you need to write a note of encouragement, or a thank you note for something that someone has done for you.
Maybe You need to make peace with a person that you have estranged from.
Maybe you need to make a meal for or visit a widow who is lonely.
Maybe you need to tell your children you love them and you are proud of them.
Maybe.....you fill in the blank.

What needs to happen today, so that YOU WON'T WAKE UP TOMORROW, A DAY TOO LATE?


I saw a saying that is attributed to Joan Rivers, this is what it says:

Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
Today is a Gift from God,
That is why it is called the Present.

Do not return your gift from God today. Accept it, embrace it, use it, re-gift it!


Chasing Their Hearts,
Glenda Johnson
womanaftergod@gmail.com
http://www.twitter.com/GlendaJohnson63
http://www.facebook.com/BibleBowlGlenda

No comments:

Post a Comment