Friday, December 3, 2010

Daily Devo- Luke 20:41-47 " So You Think You're An Expert?"



Luke 20:41-47
41 But he said to them, “How can they say that the Christ is David's son? 42 For David himself says in the Book of Psalms,
“‘The Lord said to my Lord,
Sit at my right hand,

43 until I make your enemies your footstool.’
44 David thus calls him Lord, so how is he his son?”
45 And in the hearing of all the people he said to his disciples, 46 “Beware of the scribes, who like to walk around in long robes, and love greetings in the marketplaces and the best seats in the synagogues and the places of honor at feasts, 47 who devour widows' houses and for a pretense make long prayers. They will receive the greater condemnation.”

Jesus I see you letting all know that You are the Messiah. Physically You were born from David . Spiritually, You are David's Lord. I find it interesting that You pose a question that You do not answer. You are establishing that being the Lord of all eternity is more important than being from David's lineage.

You then transition right into dealing with the Scribes, the experts in the law. They were not the priests, but because of their jobs, they felt knew more about the law than anyone. You established with Your question about David that they did not.
These men were arrogant and demanded special greeting, special seating all while treating others badly.

As I look at this in today's realm, I do not see this as the preacher, because that would have been the priest of those days, but as someone who has so puffed themselves up with "knowledge" that they feel they know all there is to know about Your word. They become conceited and then abuse others, doing all they do,  justifying how holy they are and how much they know.
Jesus, You set it all straight by saying, " They will receive the greater condemnation."
Lord I do not want to be like the Scribes, ever. May I always study Your word, so I can know You and Your heart. I want to know how to treat people, how to live so that I can point others to You, not to me.
What I know is only worth what I can translate into love. 

You translated the Word into a sacrifice for me. I want to sacrifice all for You, without fanfare, without the best seats, without the recognition. Simply out of love and gratitude for the life You have given me. 

Today:
I will know You are the Messiah!
I will make sure I look into Your Word to be changed within myself to be more like You.
I will look into Your Word to see how you want me to treat others.
I will search my heart and see where there is pride that needs to be removed. I will come to you for cleansing of that pride.










Chasing After Their Hearts,
Glenda Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment