Sunday, December 5, 2010

Daily Devo- Psalm 56 " Feeling Beat Up Today?"

 I talk with people everyday who just feel beat up. For some it is physical, but for most it is verbal, or in attacks that are not quite so obvious. It comes from people just treating others badly. What can you do when you are feeling beat up by those around you? This is what David did. He cried out to the Lord honestly, and put his trust in God. Let's read:

Psalm 56

 1-4 Take my side, God—I'm getting kicked around, stomped on every day.
   Not a day goes by
      but somebody beats me up;
   They make it their duty
      to beat me up.
   When I get really afraid
      I come to you in trust.
   I'm proud to praise God;
      fearless now, I trust in God.
      What can mere mortals do?
5-6 They don't let up—
      they smear my reputation
      and huddle to plot my collapse.
   They gang up,
      sneak together through the alleys
   To take me by surprise,
      wait their chance to get me.
7 Pay them back in evil!
      Get angry, God!
      Down with these people! 
 8 You've kept track of my every toss and turn
      through the sleepless nights,
   Each tear entered in your ledger,
      each ache written in your book.
9 If my enemies run away,
      turn tail when I yell at them,
   Then I'll know
      that God is on my side.
10-11 I'm proud to praise God,
      proud to praise God.
   Fearless now, I trust in God;
      what can mere mortals do to me?
12-13 God, you did everything you promised,
      and I'm thanking you with all my heart.
   You pulled me from the brink of death,
      my feet from the cliff-edge of doom.
   Now I stroll at leisure with God
      in the sunlit fields of life. 


Are you afraid to cry out to God the way David did? Don't be. God sees what you are going through. Even if you do not pray to Him with what is on your heart, He knows. Why not trust Him enough to say, " I am feeling really low right now. See what is happening to me? Please do something God!"

David was said to be a man after God's own heart. He was not perfect, but he loved and trusted God. He also was open with God. He was close enough to the God of all creation to just pour out his heart to Him.

David says he trusts in God three times here:
I come to you in trust (vs 3)
 fearless now, I trust in God (vs 4)
 Fearless now, I trust in God (vs11)

Not only does David trust but he praises God three times as well.
 I'm proud to praise God (vs 4)
I'm proud to praise God (vs10)
proud to praise God (vs10)

Trust and praise go hand in hand. you cannot have one with out the other. David could praise God because he trusted God. David could trust God because he knew that God was worthy to be praised.  

So as you and I walk through our days, let  us know that God sees all we are going through, we can trust that He will bring us through it, and in the darkest of times, praising Him will be just what we need to do. 

Interesting thought to add; if we are praising God when we are being persecuted, it keeps our focus on God. When we start focusing on those who are wronging us, we may be tempted to sin, or to let a root of bitterness take root in our heart. 






Concentrate on God. Praise and trust Him. He is and always will be your protector!







Chasing After Their Hearts,
Glenda Johnson

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the great post! I find the reminder especially true to keep our focus on God so that bitterness cannot take root.

    ReplyDelete