Saturday, October 1, 2011

Turbulence Of This Life

Flying is a wonderful way to travel.
Jetting through the sky, being pampered by attentive flight attendants, if you are in First or Business class that is.
Flying is really a great use of time when enjoying the destination not the trip is the goal.
There is an exception.
When the plane you are flying on is so small that you look out the window to see the guy with the remote control who you are sure is flying the plane instead of the pilot in the cockpit.
I was on such a plane today.
It rattled.
It shook.
It bounced and thumped through the sky like a child's kite on a windy day.
I was more than a little apprehensive.
Then I noticed the flight attendant in the jump seat facing the passengers.
Yes, I said flight ATTENDANT, there was only one.
I said the plane was small!
Anyway, as the plane was bouncing all over the clouds and making really strange noises, this flight attendant was calmly reading the newspaper.

He was not concerned at all with the plane.
Then it occurred to me that he knew this plane well. It was his regular route. If there was something wrong, or out of the ordinary, he would be the first one outside of the cockpit to know.
He was sitting there as if all was ok.
I made the decision to watch him. I came to the conclusion that as along as he was relaxed, I had nothing to be scared of, because he KNEW what was ok and what was not ok.
I trusted him.
Shouldn't it be that way with God? We worry about things with our jobs, families, friends, enemies, and churches. How much more peace could we have if we just kept our eye on God through His Word?

Proverbs 1
33 but whoever listens to me will live in safety
   and be at ease, without fear of harm.”

God's Word assures us that he knows what is best for us. He knows where we are safe. He also shows us when things are not safe and gives warnings.
So today, I will choose to watch God. I will rest and find peace knowing He will show me when things are not ok. I can rejoice and enjoy life not worrying over the details that I have no control over.
I will lay each day at His feet, walk it as I look at His Word and trust He knows EVERYTHING that is going on and will sound the warning if necessary.
That way I don't have to be consumed by stress and worry as I fly through the turbulence of this life.

Chasing After Their Hearts,

Glenda Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment