Sunday, October 2, 2011

Who Is Welcome At Your Church?

5 Teenage boys sitting behind me today in church.
They were loud and distracting.
They obviously did not know how to "behave" in a church assembly.
I had to concentrate very hard not to miss what was being said in the sermon.
Others were getting irritated and frustrated with the boys as well.
I could see it on peoples faces.
I stood guard at the end of the pew when the service was over.
I was concerned someone might say something, and the boys might think they did not belong there.
I am thankful I serve in a congregation that did not say anything.
Those young men were RIGHT where they needed to be.
A poignant reminder that the church is for the sick, not a haven for religious gluttons.
Jesus would have loved seeing these guys in an assembly He was preaching at.
Would you?
Did you?

Chasing After Their Hearts,
Glenda Johnson

2 comments:

  1. While reading I was thinking exactly what your final comments were...church isn't for the saved to have a place to go each Sunday, it's for the lost and hurting and "unchurched". I pray these boys come back and hear more about Jesus and make a difference in their world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kathy for your encouraging comment!

    ReplyDelete