Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Return To Normal




The Return To Normal…

September is here.

As I listen to conversations, the theme that permeates them all is;

“Finally. School is starting and things will return to NORMAL.”

Kids being home all summer can make for chaotic schedules for some households. I understand the situation of these families.

It just doesn’t apply to me.

My summer was NORMAL. We traveled from June to the middle of July with our kids so they could compete in Bible Bowl (www.biblebowl.net). We have done that every summer for the last 11 years. I wrote and directed a musical/drama at a camp for talented young people. I helped at other weeks of youth camp. All these things are NORMAL.

But, the rest of the year has NOT been NORMAL.

You see, last December, my husband chose to resign from his position at a church we had served at for almost seven years. (NOT NORMAL)

We moved from our NORMAL home, into a two-bedroom apartment. (A blessing, but NOT NORMAL)

My husband spent his days long term substitute teaching at a Christian school while looking for a preaching ministry. (A HUGE blessing, but NOT NORMAL)

 I worked 60 hours a week to help with finances. (Thankful, but NOT NORMAL)

I comforted, and ministered to my children as they grieved and hurt from seeing some really messy things happen at a place that is supposed to be safe. The Church. (NOT NOT NOT NOT NORMAL, ever)

So now it is September, and I am:

Settling into a beautiful new home. (Blessedly NORMAL)

Supporting my husband at an awesome new ministry in Glen Lyn, VA. (NORMAL)

Preparing my kids for a new home school year. Where I will be home and present. (NORMAL)

Blogging. ( NORMAL!!)

Being a preacher’s wife. (NORMAL)

Serving and loving a group of people, who are serving and loving my family and myself. (Becoming NORMAL, and I love it!)


As I return to NORMAL, I am reminded that even when things were crazy, and very out of the ordinary, there really was one thing that remained constant and NORMAL.


Hebrews 13:8  Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever.
Jesus will always be who I return to for NORMAL!


Chasing After Their Hearts,

Glenda Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment