Friday, September 9, 2011

The Swamp


In 2000, my husband took his first located ministry in Roper, NC. It was right in the middle of the swamp and had mosquitos so big they could carry off a mini van. There were bears, water mocassins, and did I mention the mosquitos?
I would return in a New York minute!
Not for any of the reasons that are listed above, definitely NOT the mosquitos, but for the people. 
There in that little swamp of North Carolina, are some of the most amazing people I have ever met. I was loved there in that little town. And I could love the people there as well. 
Of all the people that I fell in love with, one stands out just a little more than others.  He is Norman Furlough. I loved him like a father. He loved me like a daughter. He made me laugh and he made me cry.

My favorite memory of living there was when we were roofing the parsonage. It was really cold outside and many men came and went working on the roof. Norman was there EVERY day. One day I looked out of my window, and saw a sign that said, "Will work for coffee!", written on cardboard. Norman's face peeked around from behind the sign and smiled. 
There are many others there I love too. I get to go back and visit occasionally. I always say if I ever have a crisis in my life, Roper, North Carolina is the first place I want to run to. 

The sad part is, I have to wait until heaven to get to see Norman again. You see, Jesus came to take him home a couple of years ago. I miss him, but returning to see him one day on the streets of gold instead of the streets of Roper, is something I am anxiously awaiting!

Chasing After Their Hearts,
Glenda Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment